Mom of many heading into empty nest syndrome- come enjoy the ride!

About Me

My photo
Little Town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, United States
I'm a mom of 4 boys: Jay who's 30, Jory who is 27, Tim is 25, and B is 23. I also have a daughter, Kristi who is 33. I have a grandson, Little Bit/Elmer, that was born in July 2009. I have a new grandson who was born in September of 2017. We moved from North TX to East TX on the land of our dreams in '09 and I love the peace and quiet. It's so nice to have trees again after 11 years of flat and hot. I enjoy hanging out with my friends. I'm a huge baseball fan. Some might even call me obsessed with the game. ;) My favorite teams are the Rangers and the Red Sox. Being a Red Sox fan makes life interesting as all 4 of my boys are Yankee fans. (Basically, I only started cheering for the Red Sox to give the boys a hard time and then actually became a fan) I'm a happily single (well...divorced) mom.

Monday, April 20, 2009

the headache

As I mentioned in a previous post, I spent most of the weekend giving myself a headache.  My pet peeve since we got this house has been that whomever designed it, had no clue.  There was no way to get thru the door and shut it behind you without stepping on the carpet.  This has caused untold carpet damage over the years.  And don't ask me why I didn't do this sooner.  Chicken  might be the answer I give.  It was a lot of work.  And I couldn't have done it without Little Man and B who really busted tail this weekend to help it get completed before they went back to school today.  


The pink stuff on the wall is drywall mud that turns white when it dries.  There were doggie scratches in the wall. The dark line in the middle is where the old linoleum used to stop.  There was really no way to get in the door and shut it without messing up the carpet.  

This is after we had cut the carpet out and pulled the old linoleum up.  At this point, we were working on pulling nails and staples up out of the floor.  Not fun! (Brushes were used to put some primer stuff on the floor so that the new tile would stick)

Most of the tile laid at this point.  The boys were kind enough to point out that it would have been so much easier if we had started at the wall and worked our way over instead of working towards the wall.  Yeah- they were right.  

More wall being patched by the door.  Dang dog always jumps with one paw right there when he wants out.  It's been 11 years and I still haven't broken the habit of his.  


New floor completed.  Thank you very much Little Man and B for all your hard work!  Their next project that they're taking on is rebuilding the back steps.  I'm pretty impressed with the job they did.  And we have plenty of room now to take shoes off without ever stepping on the carpet.  The blue in the foreground is actually another rug -- not carpet.  

Next step, finish sanding down the first coat of mud.  Apply a 2nd coat and hope that after that one is sanded down, it will be ready to paint.  I still have the paint left from when I remodeled the living room a few years ago.  The original border was mauve and green flowers.  I am just not a flower type person.  Once I get that all done- Little Man's room is next.  I don't know if I can make it thru all that.  After 6 months of debate (arguing might be closer to the truth), he and I have finally agreed on a color.  And yes, I realize it's "his" room.  But he wanted to paint his room this dark dark blue gray.  And I was holding out for a lighter shade.  Not something I'd never be able to paint over again.  So, we're off to the races with that next.  

Have a great day all!  

2 comments:

Lori G. said...

Great job and fantastic accomplishment! Your helpers did a great job and I know it had to be very tedious. Good for you all for sticking to it.

Morocco said...

I love the concept of "do-it-yourself" as it saves a ton of money! The floor looks nice.