With the 2 older boys not here to put their ornaments on the tree, it has taken away one of my favorite holiday traditions. Usually, the boys hang all their ornaments on the tree and I take pix and send them to my mom. We usually do this over Thanksgiving weekend. Well, as we went to Ruth's dad's for Thanksgiving and then the 2 older boys haven't been down since, their ornaments aren't on the tree. I don't know whether to put them on myself or just not bother this year. As the 2 younger boys aren't real into this decorating idea and can't figure out why we need a tree and decorations anyhow, they haven't been real into helping me out with this. I told them no tree= no presents. So, they have helped but not without some mumbles of complaint.
I will say this. I'm glad that I'm not amongst the number of people who are having ex troubles trying to work out holiday schedules. My ex ignores the kids at Christmas just as he does the other 364 days a year. They don't get a card or presents or a phone call to acknowledge their existence. So, its a double edged sword. While I'm glad that I'm not having to argue and fight for time and to arrange a schedule on the holidays, my kids have a whole half of their family that has essentially written them off as dead or never having been born or however you want to look at it. So, if you have to argue for time on the holidays- I'm sorry. However, please consider the hurt your child would be feeling if that other parent ignored the fact that they were alive. If your have the child and your ex wants time and you don't want to share- shame on you! Let your child know that they're loved by all on the holidays. There is extended family and friends for both sides that want to enjoy the kids. Every year my kids look for something that never comes. Watch for a call that never happens. Look for cards from anyone on that side. Nothing from aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, or their sperm donor. And they would never admit that they still look. They would never admit that they care. They're boys and teenagers - so god forbid they admit to having emotions at all. But I see them checking the mail. I watch. And over the years, the expectations have dimmed. Maybe one day they won't look at all any more. But I watch these selfish parents who don't want to "share" the kids on the holidays. Like they're a 5 year old playing with a favorite toy. And truthfully folks - it ticks me off. These are children! They're not toys. They're not possessions. How about we call a halt to hostilities over the holidays at least. Even the germans and the french forces called a truce over Christmas during World War 1. Garth Brooks sang about this in his song Belleau Wood. (absolutely beautiful song but I couldn't find a video of Garth singing it) You're telling me that what two armies managed to accomplish during a world war, 2 supposed adults can't manage for one day for the good of the child they profess to love?
3 comments:
Powerful post, Amy. It brought a lump to my throat, and left me speechless.
I've read so many blogs lately with the divorced parents fighting over holiday time with the kids. Can't they put their differences aside for ONE DAY and let the kid be HAPPY? Great post, Amy. I agree with you 100%, as usual :)
I really liked your post. I agree with you 100%. I HATE that we have this fight almost every Christmas. You wouldn't think it would be so hard for 2 adults to follow the same rule from year to year. We are supposed to alternate every year. I don't understand why if just can't be simple.
Post a Comment