Mom of many heading into empty nest syndrome- come enjoy the ride!

About Me

My photo
Little Town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, United States
I'm a mom of 4 boys: Jay who's 30, Jory who is 27, Tim is 25, and B is 23. I also have a daughter, Kristi who is 33. I have a grandson, Little Bit/Elmer, that was born in July 2009. I have a new grandson who was born in September of 2017. We moved from North TX to East TX on the land of our dreams in '09 and I love the peace and quiet. It's so nice to have trees again after 11 years of flat and hot. I enjoy hanging out with my friends. I'm a huge baseball fan. Some might even call me obsessed with the game. ;) My favorite teams are the Rangers and the Red Sox. Being a Red Sox fan makes life interesting as all 4 of my boys are Yankee fans. (Basically, I only started cheering for the Red Sox to give the boys a hard time and then actually became a fan) I'm a happily single (well...divorced) mom.

Friday, December 11, 2009

TGIF?

So, today is Friday. Its been a long day here at the ranch. We have cleaned carpets, mopped floors, cleaned bathrooms, and the boys cleaned their bedrooms as well as cleaning up the mess left in the "guest spot". Hey, our company left on Monday and it only took me 4 days to get the boys to run the vacuum and pick up in there. Not bad. Ok, so its not good either. But we have been busy with school work so give me credit. B is 1/2 way thru his first credit. Little Man has been diligently working on American History. I couldn't take the mess any more and I woke up in severe pain so I needed their help. I wold say that they cheerfully gave it but that would be a lie. They didn't moan, complain or whine but cheerful doesn't come anywhere close to it. It was more like, they didn't want to hear me moan, complain or whine. Smart kids.

The plus side of this all is that I sit here tonight in a house that is clean. Picked up, smelling like pretty candles and firewood. (hey, I like the smell of firewood). The boys have headed out to hang with a friend. I have the house to myself and I am totally enjoying the peace and quiet. I will have to make a guilty admission though. Little Man has become my tv pal. He and I have found a mutual ground in some shows and movies that we enjoy. We have really been spending the evenings together watching some shows. We stumbled on one show one night when I was playing on the computer and he was playing on B's laptop. It started playing and I didn't bother to change the channel. We enjoyed it so much, we have tivo'd the reruns as they show on tv and we have been playing catch up. I think he is looking forward to the new season of American Idol as much as Kou and I are. We sit and chat a bit on the commercials, he texts his friends or plays on the laptop and we relax together. B joins us sometimes but more oft than not, its just me and the older monster.

So, I hope you all have a great weekend! The younger two boys are putting their ornaments on the tree tomorrow. We are going to eat frozen pizza and watch a movie after the monsters come home. Although I doubt that I'll wait for them to heat up my cardboard pizza. Actually, another guilty admission - I like frozen pizza. I throw some extra cheese on it and its pretty good. I don't know what this weekend will hold for us. I do know that we need some more firewood so that we make it thru the winter.

Y'all have fun. And I have one friend who religiously reads this who I have already advised to sit back with her better half and watch a movie and pop some popcorn. That goes for all of y'all. Take some time this weekend for yourselves. For your relationships. Step off that merry-go-round for a couple of hours. Lock the doors, turn off your phones and lose yourself in a decent (or bad) movie. Eat some pop corn or cheese and crackers. Read a good book. But do something that is just for you or just for you and your spouse. If its your weekend with the kids- do it after you put the kids to bed or get a disney flick for the whole family. Create a peaceful time with the family. Get out a board game whether it be candy land or monopoly and just be together. Enjoy each other. Throw a frozen pizza in the oven, eat it off a paper plate and don't worry about the dishes. Just for a few hours. Just for a few hours, take time to enjoy each other. Take time to relax and rejuvenate. Good luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I plan to! And I'm glad your house is finally clean, for now. ;)
Hope you have a nice weekend too!

Morocco said...

Try putting fresh shredded basil on your frozen pizza and top that with a layer of shredded cheese. It makes it taste sooo much better!

Sharon said...

Good advice, Amy. I must have missed a post. I didn't know BOTH boys were being home schooled now. Have a good weekend!

Summer said...

Darn straight! My friends and I are already gearing up for American Idol two nights a week. We've told our husbands they are relegated to spend Tuesday and Wednesday nights at K's house while we girls alternate between my house and Brenda's. To avoid the last-minute rush we did this year with the bottle cap tree, we are also going to be working on next year's marshmallow tree during American Idol season. Hopefully it'll be done by May and we can sit back and relax until November!