Mom of many heading into empty nest syndrome- come enjoy the ride!

About Me

My photo
Little Town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, United States
I'm a mom of 4 boys: Jay who's 30, Jory who is 27, Tim is 25, and B is 23. I also have a daughter, Kristi who is 33. I have a grandson, Little Bit/Elmer, that was born in July 2009. I have a new grandson who was born in September of 2017. We moved from North TX to East TX on the land of our dreams in '09 and I love the peace and quiet. It's so nice to have trees again after 11 years of flat and hot. I enjoy hanging out with my friends. I'm a huge baseball fan. Some might even call me obsessed with the game. ;) My favorite teams are the Rangers and the Red Sox. Being a Red Sox fan makes life interesting as all 4 of my boys are Yankee fans. (Basically, I only started cheering for the Red Sox to give the boys a hard time and then actually became a fan) I'm a happily single (well...divorced) mom.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's a boy!

Ice Cube and Ruth went to see Ruth's mom this weekend.  The basis for the trip was to go get an ultrasound done.  Ruth's mom is an OBGYN nurse and was able to take Ruth to where she works and one of the girls at work did it for them.  They brought home 7 new baby pix.  For the most part- I can't make heads nor tails out of any of them.  But they found his little "turtle" (as Ruth called it) and so - a boy it is.  No names picked out yet.  They think they're going to use B's middle name for the baby's middle name.  They're also talking about moving to where Ruth's mom lives to have the baby.  That doesn't make me so happy.  They'll still be in the same state- but 5 hours away.  but, I know it's what's best for the kids.  Ruth's mom will help her get her EMT license and then get her a job at the hospital while she works on her nursing license.  Financial stability for the kids and the grandson.  Ice Cube can switch jobs for a year or so.  And we'll just be doing a lot of traveling to see each other or meeting here where we've lived which is close to a 1/2 way point.  

Moving plans are coming right along.  We signed the paperwork to move the house on Monday.  I'm packing away.  Too early to be packing a lot of it.  What I've been working on is books, VHS tapes, things like that.  Toys that the kids have outgrown that I didn't want to get rid of.  I'm doing a lot of cleaning out and throwing away.  I've got some things that I'm going to send back to my ex sister-in-law.  Pictures of her kids and her daughters 1st Christmas ornaments.  I had the ornaments because I had the daughter for the first 17 months of her life.  From the time she was 3 days old.  Today I have to order the blueberry bushes that we're planting at the new property.  I'll be going down there over spring break and getting some work done.  For those of you that remember the PINK well house- I've gotten the paint to change that color scheme.  Pink is not my color.  

June 12 is the moving date.  I'll pick up the uhaul on the 11th, spend the morning packing and then B and I have tickets to the Ranger game that night.  I need to call today to reserve the uhaul and get hotel reservations for a few days of that time.  Another of my ex sister-in-laws, we'll call her Tia (spanish for aunt) lives down by the new property and she's been kind enough to let me have the bushes shipped there.  

I have a huge problem.  I have to put together a baby shower for May 23.  I don't know where to hold it.  I've never had a baby shower  - let alone thrown one.  And I'm pretty lost.  So, for any of you who have done these things before....  All ideas are welcome.  An idea of where to have one would be nice too.  As this is occurring about 3 weeks before I'm due to move, I don't know that my house is big enough or will be in any shape to have one.  I would have done it closer to her due date but as the kids are moving about the same time I am, we need to do it before everyone moves.  And if we go to the last weekend in May, then we get into graduations.  All idea, suggestions welcome at this point.  Finances will be a consideration at that point too so I need to put together something nice- that's fairly inexpensive.  

Thanks!

7 comments:

Summer said...

At the latest baby shower I attended they had a "diaper raffle." You'd have to get a gift for the winner, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Each person attending brings a bag of diapers- for each bag they bring, they get a ticket for the raffle, and then whoever's ticket gets drawn wins the prize. The mom-to-be made out like a bandit with diapers, which I'm sure is going to be a nice break for them, financially.

Amy said...

Never-Mom
Thanks for the idea! I found a web site of ideas that I'm looking thru too but they're all so expensive. My biggest issue is where to have it!
Thanks again!

Morocco said...

Try renting an apartment clubhouse. It works easier if you know a resident in the apartment complex. You also might try a community center, or a family life center.

Anonymous said...

The "turtle" made me smile. When I was having the ultrasound when I was pregnant with my son the technician pointed and said, "See that turtle? That means you are having a boy."

My youngest daughter started to cry. She had wanted a baby sister.

Heidi said...

A think a nice little restaurant is always a good backup. Especially if you can do the food family style. Less expensive and you can be kind of loud.

Here's an odd idea - the food court at the mall? Then maybe you could incorporate a baby scavenger hunt or something. I don't know. That idea just jumped to mind.

Amy said...

Morocco -

thanks for the idea. My son lives in a very nice apartment complex and I'll have him check on this when he gets home from his birthday trip to vegas.

Kweenmama-

LOL They were pretty excited about the "turtle"

Heidi-

Thanks for the idea's. I'm checking out all kinds of ideas. I'm so thankful for all the ideas that everyone has left on the site.

Thank you all!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ the turtle. Congrats, grandma!

I would think a neutral location would be best for the shower: a church, community center or restaurant. As a cheaper alternative, a friend's home?