Mom of many heading into empty nest syndrome- come enjoy the ride!

About Me

My photo
Little Town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, United States
I'm a mom of 4 boys: Jay who's 30, Jory who is 27, Tim is 25, and B is 23. I also have a daughter, Kristi who is 33. I have a grandson, Little Bit/Elmer, that was born in July 2009. I have a new grandson who was born in September of 2017. We moved from North TX to East TX on the land of our dreams in '09 and I love the peace and quiet. It's so nice to have trees again after 11 years of flat and hot. I enjoy hanging out with my friends. I'm a huge baseball fan. Some might even call me obsessed with the game. ;) My favorite teams are the Rangers and the Red Sox. Being a Red Sox fan makes life interesting as all 4 of my boys are Yankee fans. (Basically, I only started cheering for the Red Sox to give the boys a hard time and then actually became a fan) I'm a happily single (well...divorced) mom.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Adventures in crazy

Well, the kids came down for the weekend. I really expected Hurricane and Donna to show up too. They can't try to claim that they didn't know that Ice Cube and Ruth were coming down this weekend because Ice Cube and Ruth come down every other weekend. But, I haven't heard a word one from either Hurricane or Donna. Despite all the drama at the beginning of it, it has been a good weekend. The kids had fun last night. I sat outside with them for a little bit and then came in and watched the rest of the Yankees/Angels game. The kids burned up a lot of the yard debris that came down in the last storm. Ruth had gotten her camera back from the shop (apparently it had been broken) and they took a bunch of pictures. I didn't very many pictures but I did get some of NK (new kid) with the cake Ruth baked him. B was being pretty silly last night and kept jumping into all the pictures making silly faces. I'll try to get my hands on some of them and post them. They'll make good blackmail pictures later.

On another note, The kids came to me with some things this weekend. They are not very happy where they're living. Ruth said that she doesn't think that Ice Cube feels very welcome at her house. But I asked her if she felt welcome and she said not always. I don't think that there's anything "wrong" with this. I just think that her family is different than ours. She said that she always feels welcome and wanted here. That's good because they are always welcome and wanted here. They have been unable to get ahead financially where they are. They don't have anyone to watch Little Bit so that she can go to work or school. Ruth has a $2,000 scholarship that she can take to any school she wants right now. But her mom works and she doesn't want to leave Little Bit with just anyone. Yes, I know that parents all over the world do it every day and leave their children in day care. But they can't afford day care. Whereas here, they can leave Little Bit with me while she goes to school.

It's really funny as one of my favorite blog authors, Sharon, had written a post a few days ago about what do you do with your adult children? Do you let them sink or swim? Do you let them move back home? I left her a comment saying that I had handled it both ways. I've let them come back home and I've told them before that its not a possibility. I believe that a lot of it comes down to how they left home. Did they leave on good terms or because they were making everyone's life miserable? Have they worked to change things if they left on bad terms? Are they responsible? Is the mess they're in of their own making or is it something that was unavoidable? I mean if they quit their job for no reason then that's one thing. If they got laid off or hurt at work then that's another issue. Are they respectful of you, your home, and your rules? Because that's a big one around here. No respect - no tolerance. In this case, I would be ok with letting them come here on a short term basis. Like I told them - I'm not going to have them here when Little Bit is 10 years old and they're hitting 30. They will have to save 1/2 of what they make. They need to do what they can to become self sufficient. I don't mind helping. Ruth is going to med school and I sure don't mind keeping Little Bit while she goes to college to better their lives. The local college has a culinary arts program too and that is what Ice Cube has wanted to do. I don't mind helping them get ahead. But my help only extends as far as their willingness to do the work. This is what was supposed to happen when they went to where they are now. But her mom works long hours in a demanding job. And her mom has a social life (unlike me). Her mom is a very busy woman. And the cost of living there is so much higher than it is where I am. (There are benefits to living in redneck village ok?) Plus, Vix and Cal have offered them the chance to build on this land or move a home onto it. They can go far enough away for us all to have privacy but close enough to make it convenient for Little Bit to come to grandma's house. That would be a dream come true for me. Having Little Bit close enough that Ruth can say - go over to grandmas and have him make the across the property. Of course, that would be years in the future because at this point, you don't walk the property without a gun (if he could even walk). There's a black panther loose around here and its just common sense to be armed. And there's another pet peeve of mine for you. Gun control. We have a black panther running loose around here. Coyotes. Rattle snakes and Copperheads. I understand that some folks who live in cities and suburbs don't think about us folks who live out in places that guns are a fact of life still. Personally, I'll shoot a snake quick before it gets a chance to get me. Sorry for the side track.

I think that its a possibility that sometime in the near future, my house is going to become even more crowded and chaotic. Good blog fodder right? That would give me 2 18 year olds, 2 17 year olds, a 14 year old and a 3 1/2 month old here at once. Oh wait! That was my weekend. Its not bad except for the dishes. My kids are incapable of using a glass more than once. Does anyone else have this issue? They're drinking sweet tea- finish off one glass - go to get more and USE a NEW GLASS. The why of this boggles my mind. It just makes no sense at all. And you'd think that as much as I nag complain beg them to use the same glass, they'd have caught on by now.

Well, this old grandma is falling asleep in the recliner. I stayed up to watch the Yankees win in the 13th inning last night on a throwing error courtesy of the Angels. Good game. However, 13 innings takes you till after 1 Am. And then I had to go bring in the mess from the bonfire. Which would have all been fine and dandy but Little Bit thought that his belly needed fed at 6:30 this morning. And he was quite loud about the fact that we were starving him. The poor baby had obviously not eaten in weeks to hear his complaints. And he wanted his grandma. He told me so. ;)

Have a good night all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Amy, you're going to have a full house and lots to write about. I'm glad you will be able to have a close relationship with your grandson nearby. What a blessing. Keep us posted on how things proceed.

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the adult children thing. Our kids will be welcome to stay here if they ever need it, but it will be on my terms, and understood that it will be only temporary. And it has to be a good reason that they are coming back "home." Job loss, divorce, illness, etc. count as good reasons. If they are coming back simply because they got tired of working and think they can get a free ride here, they are going to find out that "home" isn't going to be so welcoming.

Summer said...

I'm so excited for you to have Little Bit living with you!

The Step In Mom. . . said...

I think it is nice of you to let them move back in with you. We sold our house and moved back in with my Mom and used the money we saved to put a down payment down to have a new house built in a better area with better schools for the Kid. We probably couldn't have done it without her, because in this market we took a hit on the sale of our house and lost all of our equity.

Heidi said...

My poor parents - I have moved back home so many times I'm sure they wonder if they've done right or wrong, but I can't thank them enough for their generosity and help. I also can't wait to repay the debt either. I will accept them into my home as well at any time. So good for you!