Mom of many heading into empty nest syndrome- come enjoy the ride!

About Me

My photo
Little Town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, United States
I'm a mom of 4 boys: Jay who's 30, Jory who is 27, Tim is 25, and B is 23. I also have a daughter, Kristi who is 33. I have a grandson, Little Bit/Elmer, that was born in July 2009. I have a new grandson who was born in September of 2017. We moved from North TX to East TX on the land of our dreams in '09 and I love the peace and quiet. It's so nice to have trees again after 11 years of flat and hot. I enjoy hanging out with my friends. I'm a huge baseball fan. Some might even call me obsessed with the game. ;) My favorite teams are the Rangers and the Red Sox. Being a Red Sox fan makes life interesting as all 4 of my boys are Yankee fans. (Basically, I only started cheering for the Red Sox to give the boys a hard time and then actually became a fan) I'm a happily single (well...divorced) mom.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I found the thorns

Gotta love little schools. Little Man's class had a sub all week last week. Due to confidentiality issues, the sub is not given the 504 modifications. The regular teachers are supposed to leave all the work ready for the kids. This did not happen. What also didn't happen was the sub getting informed that there were modifications. Or that Little Man has migraines resulting from the issues or anything. So, the sub puts a movie on and plays it up on a brick wall. It's all nice and blurry. Then there is a 20 question test over the movie handed out. This is not blown up to the appropriate fonts or double spaced so that he can differentiate between the lines. Background here: Although the boys issue is considered a "vision" issue, and although Little Man is legally blind in one eye (as in can't see the top line - big E- of the eye chart in that bad eye) what the issues really is is a processing issue. The right eye sees one thing, the left eye sees something else, the 2 images instead of becoming one their brains are so vastly different that the brain can't make sense out of them. In Little Man's case, this causes severe, throwing up, can't open his eyes, migraines. Part of the modifications he has is the ability to rest his eyes between assignments. This prevents him from over-working the eyes/brain and keeps him from getting migraines. Now, he's had these modifications since 1st grade. This has always been a part of his schooling. And the modifications were put in place so that he could stay in his advanced placement classes with all the reading and work that they involve without suffering from daily migraines. The rules behind this for the 10 years we've had the modifications in place have been that he cannot abuse this privilege and that unless it was really an emergency, he had to finish all his work first. This has never been an issue for a kid who pulls straight A's without any effort or studying.

Back to the issue at hand. With the sub they had last week, once he finished his movie and test, he had a whopper of a migraine starting. He was feeling like he was going to throw up. So, he did like he had always done and been allowed to do. He put his head down on his desk and tried to relax and rest his eyes. This class was 6th period so he knew he could make it thru the last 2 periods. Well, the substitute told him that he needed to get going on a word search. For one, there was no grade to the word search. It was busy work because the class had finished the test so quickly. For 2 - you don't give a kid who sees jumbles of letters anyhow, one with no depth perception or peripheral vision, a jumble of letters and ask them to find words. He's already fighting to make sense out of real words. So, he told the teacher he wasn't feeling well. That he thought he might throw up. So, the sub wrote him up for insubordination. Now, I imagine that he should have explained the 504 to the sub. That he should have told her about the migraines and the modifications instead of just saying he didn't feel well. But, this was how they had always handled it in the past. So that the whole class didn't get a lesson on the condition and embarrass the boys.

Well, I didn't worry too much about the referral. I knew that the modifications were on file and any effort at all to check into it would show that due to the sub not being fully informed of the circumstances, there was a simple mix-up. Yeah. Right. See how wrong I was. Stay tuned to find out how wonderful my first 2 days of the week went and why I am now thoroughly unimpressed with the new school's administration and all things related to the power hungry fool that is otherwise known as the male chauvinistic vice principal and administrator they have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh oh. I wouldn't want to be the principal who has to deal with an angry Amy :)

Eyes Wide Open said...

I used to teach...and I so hear you. That sounds like incredibly irresponsible administration. I taught special ed, and my kids would FREAK if I was ever out because the sub didn't understand all of their issues. The anxiety it caused the kids was major motivation to get my butt to work everyday. I hope Little Man is handling it all well...I know how stressful that can be for teenage kids in their social setting.

perdido said...

Just on principal I think I would file a complaint with the federal agency - they deserve it. I hate people on power trips