So, last night, Tara's phone rang private number. I answered it and it was Tom's mom, Bonnie. She wanted to talk to me about an address so that Tom could send Tara divorce papers. Optimistic I may be but I do not have fool tattooed on my forehead. I told Bonnie that I would meet up with her when I was in town this month and pick up the papers. She started trying to tell me that all wasn't Tom's fault and that Tara wasn't perfect. I shut off her rant when I agreed with her that there were faults on both sides. I wasn't interested in getting in a discussion about any of it with her. I just wanted to address the issues and be done. I told Bonnie that when we met up, I would like to pick up the rest of Tara's clothes that Tom had and Tara's personal belongings. Bonnie claimed to have no idea that Tom had any of Tara's things. I told her that I understood that she didn't know but that I was letting her know that Tom had not returned any of Tara's street clothes or personal belongings and that I would like to pick them up when I met up with her for the papers. She said that the divorce could be quick and easy and cheap as the kids had nothing to contest. I said that yes, it could be as the only thing that we had to contest was Tara's personal belongings and so long as we got those back, there was no reason that this couldn't be over quickly. Everything was very civil and could have been over with that.
Less than 5 minutes later, Tara's phone rang again. It was Tom. We thought we'd try what worked Friday night. Me answering and telling him that she wasn't going to get on the phone. That worked Friday night and we hadn't heard from him in 48 hours. I answered and Tom asked for Tara. Tom's first sentence was "She'll get on the phone if she wants her shit back". Gotta love the attitude and the language there don't we? I told him that we weren't going to play this game. That Tara did not have to talk to him to get her stuff back. I told him that he was not going to hold her things hostage to force her to talk to him. He kept saying that if she wanted her "shit" that she'd get on the phone. Then he tells me that Tara needs to grow up and stop hiding behind her mommy. I started laughing and told him that was really funny coming from someone who had just had his mom call here 5 minutes previously. As he spitted and sputtered trying to pull his foot out of his mouth the only thing he could come up with was some more profanity. He kept telling me that I "would put Tara on the phone" and I kept telling him that it wasn't going to happen. At this point - I was amused. Thoroughly and totally. Mr. big, bad bully wasn't getting his own way and he was beside himself. After a few more f-bombs being dropped around and him calling me a female dog a few more times, I told him that I didn't have to listen to his mouth or his threats anymore. Then I hung up on him.
This idea was of course, too much for his single brain cell to handle and the phone immediately rang back. Being the ornery person that I am and still amused with his stupidity at this point, I answered. As I picked up the phone, I was telling Tara that I was about done with him and that I was very close to filing harassment charges on him. His first words to me: "Are you really?" I told him yes, I sure was. That he had been repeatedly told to quit calling her number and that we were done with the whole game. He then tried to tell me that Tara's "shit" was already gone. I was so calm folks. I told him "fine, then you owe her a new wardrobe". And then he back tracks and tells me that we can't prove that he didn't already return her clothes. I laughed at him. He went back to the old argument of "if she wants her stuff back, then she'll get on the phone." I told him that threats were illegal and I was about to hang up and file charges. He claimed that he wasn't threatening anyone. I pointed out that him threatening to destroy her personal property if she didn't do what he wanted most certainly was a threat and that I was done. He hung up.... finally
I hung up and told Tara that she needed to call and get a report on file - not charges but a report. That way, when we went to court, there would be a record of all the threats and stupidity. She originally called the police department from Old town where they lived. Old town referred us over to the police department here. I called the non-emergency number, asked to file a report. And we waited for the officer to arrive.
to be continued....
10 comments:
Funny. It's not a matter of "hiding behind her mommy". *eye roll* What it is, is that she realizes there is nothing to be gained, or accomplished, by speaking to him. It's not like he will see the light, and say, "Wow, you're right".
Glad to hear you guys are filing a report, it is good to document things. She should file for a divorce before Tom does, it will give her the upper hand slightly.
You should also talk to the police about what you can do to get her things back. Sometimes they will go with you in a domestic situation. Obviously they can tell if she is getting make up and stuff like that it is her's and couldn't possibly be his.
I hope you are documenting all the times he calls... You might be able to get a log from her cell phone proivder.
Dee~
Exactly right!
Step-in Mom~
Pre-paid cell phone. They don't keep records. We have tried the police idea, that county said it's a "civil matter". Like I told Tom, I have no problem at all taking her to court in the one pair of sweat pants that he allowed her to walk out the door in and letting the judge see for himself.
Amy, I agree with them above--go for the divorce before he does and keep a log and a brief summary (which you can probably get from your blog). How about a restraining order at this point just in case he shows up?
Maybe there's some agency for DV that might be able to provide some help for Tara in terms of counseling, clothes even, and legal aid.
I'm glad at least that Tom is keeping away from the house. I understand that Tara misses the good side of Tom or of being in a relationship -- it is lonely in that regard but she deserves a better life. It won't be easy but she has you and her brothers and it is possible.
Ugh, what a jerk. I hope Tara sticks to her guns and stays as far away from Tom as she can. Anybody who would be this petty is NOT worth her time.
How maddening! You handled it well. Pat yourself on the back.
Lori~
The restraining order is something that we're working on. She can't file for divorce first because moving here switched her counties and you have to be a resident of the county that you filed in for 90 days.
She's finding it easier by the day to stay away from Tom. Thank Goodness!
Kou~
You hit that nail right on the head!
kweenmama~
Thank you so much!
I am so sorry you are having to endure his abuse on the phone. You don't deserve that, but you're a good momma for enduring it. I think it's very smart to document his harassing calls. Hope she gets her stuff back!
Sharon~
My money would be on that he has already destroyed or gotten rid of her things. In which case, we will get a court order for the monetary value of the items which we will never be able to collect. He's a jerk!
Post a Comment