On other notes, I seem to have inherited another child. Can anyone tell me how it is that my house always seems to be the home of wayward kids? For over 25 years now, I have had teenagers showing up at my house and then they just stay. Kids whose parents haven't wanted to deal with them. Kids who have been thrown out or abused. I had one that caused so much trouble at home that he couldn't stay there any more. He tried to set his step brother on fire. Yeah, he had a few anger issues. However, whatever those issues were, they were directed solely at that family. After he was removed, he went on to not have any other problems but step-brother ended up in prison. He's married now. A father with children of his own. You know, I never had one bit of trouble with that boy. He stayed with me for several months and then he went to live with grandparents. I swear to you folks, I do not look for these kids. I am not sure but I'm starting to think that this is what my purpose in life was supposed to be. Somehow, I always seem to find the kids that no one else wants. I love kids. I really love kids. I know that there are times that they drive me nuts. But my kids drive me more nuts than anyone else's ever have. And this one now. My boys brought this one home. After his step-dad told his mom that either the kids went or she went. So mother of the year got rid of her kids. There are a few horror stories that this poor kid has. He's happy to see a meal that doesn't consist of whatever fits between 2 pieces of bread. I don't know where we'll go next with this young man. I know he's been a life saver with getting some projects done around the house. He got Little Man to work the other night when our car broke down. Right now he's up at work. And he may be bringing me home a baby goat. The farm just keeps growing. That's what you're supposed to do with a farm though right?
Anyhow, like I said. My boys brought this one home to me. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with him yet but I've found that I'm usually led down the path that I'm supposed to take with these kids. Whether its for a holiday dinner, a week or a lifetime commitment, life always works itself out. And as this one will be 18 in a few weeks, I imagine it won't be long and he'll be flying free as an adult. You know, I guess I'm bad, I've never even asked if he's a JR or SR. I suppose I need to be finding that out in case I have a graduation to be dealing with this year. I knew I might have as Little Man might graduate early, but if this boy is going to graduate this year, I'll have to do something. His mom apparently doesn't do holiday dinners. He was worried about being here for the holidays. Well, I can't remember a holiday when I haven't had someone extra at my table. So, that's not a worry around here. And he has a girlfriend so I'm sure he might go with her. I refuse to worry about something that might happen several months from now though. Maybe his mom will get her act together and choose to be a mom again before then. I always have hope for these family relationships that at some point and time, the parents and kids can work something out. And most of the time, I've been right. Most of the time in these situations, its a communication gap. And boy do I know that one. You say one thing- the kid hears another. They think they're telling you one thing- you hear another. Sometimes I just think we speak a different language for a while here. I speak teen boy fairly well with everyone else's child. It's just mine that I don't quite get the lingo sometimes.
I do hope that my children have learned something from all our "strays". Compassion for other humans if nothing else. And that maybe, even as hard as we might have it financially from time to time, that nothing is better than a loving family and those times spent together. Yeah, and there is wishful thinking that my spoiled rotten kids won't be too upset this year when Christmas is fairly lean. One can hope can't one?
Well, the mothering thing needs to take precedence in my life again. I hope everyone is having a great weekend! I have a honey-do list for the boys tomorrow that should keep them busy for several hours. They're going to hang some shelves and get some yard work done and clean the nasty rooms. They started a few of the things that they knew I wanted done today so that they had less on their to-do list tomorrow. Good kids.
3 comments:
Wow, Amy. You have such a big heart. I admire your compassion and generosity. I hope the new one knows how lucky he is. You're an amazing woman.
Sharon,
I thought I was just a sucker. ;) I am starting to think that this is what I was meant to do. I wasn't even here when I inherited this young man. I just came home and he was here. But, he's not the first. I doubt he'll be the last. They just seem to find me.
What you call a sucker I say there aren't enough of in the world.
God Bless You. And I mean that. Sincerly.
I know I come off as a hard-ass cussing Yankee, but I do believe you've been given a gift.
Use it.
And speaking of Yankess....
Post a Comment