Mom of many heading into empty nest syndrome- come enjoy the ride!

About Me

My photo
Little Town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, United States
I'm a mom of 4 boys: Jay who's 30, Jory who is 27, Tim is 25, and B is 23. I also have a daughter, Kristi who is 33. I have a grandson, Little Bit/Elmer, that was born in July 2009. I have a new grandson who was born in September of 2017. We moved from North TX to East TX on the land of our dreams in '09 and I love the peace and quiet. It's so nice to have trees again after 11 years of flat and hot. I enjoy hanging out with my friends. I'm a huge baseball fan. Some might even call me obsessed with the game. ;) My favorite teams are the Rangers and the Red Sox. Being a Red Sox fan makes life interesting as all 4 of my boys are Yankee fans. (Basically, I only started cheering for the Red Sox to give the boys a hard time and then actually became a fan) I'm a happily single (well...divorced) mom.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tara's birthday

So we're sitting here watching American Idol tonight. It's Tara's birthday and she's been feeling ill since last night. Despite that, I think she's had a good birthday. Ice Cube and Ruth gave her $20 for her birthday and she was so excited that they remembered. I got her a new phone card for her phone. As soon as the old one runs out, she's going to change to the new one and change her number. I think she's happy now. So, pardon this short message to her....

Tara, I know you read. 25 years ago today I gave birth to my only girl. My princess. The only one of my kids who is as involved with books as I am. The child the most like me. Maybe that's why we've clashed so many times over the years. You were my "experiment". The one I learned with. I was so young when I had you and knew so little. I hadn't learned yet to let go and let my kids make their mistakes. I tried to "protect" you to death. I'm glad that you still felt safe enough to pick up that phone and call when you were walking down the road a week ago. My wish for you this year is to take the time to heal. You can do anything with your life that you want to! Take your time. Figure out what you'd like to do. What will make you happy and then go for it. Happy Birthday kid. May the coming year be better than the last.

So, Tara got a nice birthday present from Ice Cube and Ruth. They let us keep Mr. Precocious for a few more days. Ruth is working double shifts the next 2 days and Ice Cube has 10 hour days. So, we get a couple of extra days with my sweet boy. My mom is giving us a hard time saying it's not fair that we get to spoil him and she doesn't. I will say that I still can't get over how good the boys are with him. They jump up and make bottles and change diapers and have no problem playing with him. We got him a blow up ducky bath tub today. It has a temperature sensor in it and the beak has something in it that quacks. He had a blast playing in it tonight. The boy absolutely loves playing in the water. We got him a little rubber ducky to play with in the tub and he had a great time.

My car decided to give me a few gray hairs today. I got home from picking up baby food and the bath and a few other necessities and took the keys out when I unloaded the car. So, then Little Man, who is being so helpful today, runs out and is going to change my oil for me. He goes to put his key in the ignition and the key won't go in. According to popular opinion, the consensus is that the tumblers broke in the ignition. Cost- somewhere over $300. I'm still in shock. Hoping that the dealership doesn't take me for too big a ride. So, wish me luck all! But, I will tell you all. B offered me his birthday money. Tara offered to take her phone card back and give me the money for that and Little Man told me that if he had any money, I'd be welcome to it. So, my kids... They're great!

Happy Birthday Tara! Hope the next year brings you much joy!

9 comments:

Dee said...

Happy Birthday Tara!

Sorry to hear about the car problems. Seems it's always somethin!

More time with your little man...ENJOY!

Amy said...

Thanks Dee! I sure am enjoying my time with the little one. He does bring a smile to my face.

KristiAnn said...

Thank you for a wonderful birthday momma. I loved spending it with you and the boys and the extra time with the baby is total awesomeness!! I know that this coming year will the best one I have ever had...

Tara

Anonymous said...

Thank God Tara still felt safe enough to pick up that phone and call when she was walking down the road a week ago. You guys are destined to be FAMILY and help each other through these rough patches. Don't ever let another man come between you.

I'm so sorry about your car problems. Happy Birthday to Tara!!

Minnie said...

Happy Birthday Tara. May this year bring you all the good this world has to offer...

KristiAnn said...

Thank you everyone for the b-day wishes... it was an awesome day and even though I was a bit sick I loved every minutes of it.


Tara

The Step In Mom. . . said...

Happy Birthday Tara!

I hope everything works out with your car Amy, I know how much unexpected repairs suck....

Lori G. said...

Happy Birthday, Tara! I'm so glad you called your mom and you're safe at home. And that is an awesome present to have the baby home for a few days to spoil.

Amy, you don't have a Ford Focus do you? That sounds like what happened with my car. (Maybe you can get a new ignition from the junkyard if that will save you any money? Just a thought--I've bought seats to replace, etc.)

Smirking Cat said...

Does your car happen to be a Saturn? Mine did that too. I ended up trading it in before I had it fixed. Just try to get more than one quote. Any work I've had done on any car, I got wildly different quotes from different shops.