Mom of many heading into empty nest syndrome- come enjoy the ride!

About Me

My photo
Little Town in the middle of Nowhere, Texas, United States
I'm a mom of 4 boys: Jay who's 30, Jory who is 27, Tim is 25, and B is 23. I also have a daughter, Kristi who is 33. I have a grandson, Little Bit/Elmer, that was born in July 2009. I have a new grandson who was born in September of 2017. We moved from North TX to East TX on the land of our dreams in '09 and I love the peace and quiet. It's so nice to have trees again after 11 years of flat and hot. I enjoy hanging out with my friends. I'm a huge baseball fan. Some might even call me obsessed with the game. ;) My favorite teams are the Rangers and the Red Sox. Being a Red Sox fan makes life interesting as all 4 of my boys are Yankee fans. (Basically, I only started cheering for the Red Sox to give the boys a hard time and then actually became a fan) I'm a happily single (well...divorced) mom.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Disowned again

     For all of you step-parents who think that your children are unappreciative, ungrateful wretches towards you just because you didn't give birth to them....


This post is for you!


     Last weekend when the boys were here, Hurricane and LM went to the beer store.  Now, why Hurricane put his ID in LM's wallet- beyond me.  Why he didn't bother to get it back out- also beyond me.  I knew nothing about any of this until after Hurricane and Ice Cube had left to head home.  Then LM came to me and told me that Hurricane had left his ID and would I take it with me yesterday when I went to the fair.  It was a 3 sentence conversation.  3 sentences.  Would I take Hurricane his ID.  Yes.  LM was putting it in my purse.  I was trying to fix my phone cord at the time.  Fix my phone cord you ask?  Yes, because while I was out of town, Hurricane and Donna thought that they had the right to make a trip to my house.  Bring a friend with them and in the course of one of their too many to count fights- they ripped the phone cord out of the back of my phone (which H turned around an lied to me about btw).  Anyhow, as I was busy trying to fix yet another thing that had gotten broken when people who shouldn't have been here while I was gone were here - I really wasn't paying much attention to the whole conversation which promptly slipped my mind.  


    So, yesterday.  I got to the fair shortly after 9 AM.  We were there till after 4.  (we had an absolutely wonderful time which is the subject of another post complete with pictures but .... )  During those 7 hours, I heard not a single word/text/call/message from Hurricane.  Shortly after 5 yesterday evening, he texted wanting to know if I were still at the fair.  Nope, by then I was totally exhausted and on my way home.  3 boys in the back seat.  Nanny riding shotgun.  And all of us feeling like we'd been run over by a bus.  So, when I got the text from Hurricane about his ID, I apologized.  I told him that I would put it in the mail today.  (at that point, my only option or to have him drive down to get it).  So, then the garbage started.  I'm "crazy", "worthless", a "poor excuse for a parent".  I had "better take him off my fb as my child or else."  A "real parent would have driven his ID to him."  It's only a better than 30 mile drive thru Dallas traffic.  It only takes around 40-45 minutes if there are no accidents or rush hour traffic.  So of course it is my responsibility to take that almost 2 hours and run out of my way to take him his ID that he forgot.  (yes please read with all sarcasm intended there).  Why ever would it be his responsibility to make the effort to contact/meet up with me?  I should have just ignored my other plans and cancelled out on Nanny to run the almost 2 hours over to Vix and Cals house to give him his ID that he forgot.  He also told me that if "I were lucky, I might see him for Christmas."  Well, I'm thinking if he only wants to come around for Christmas- then I won't bother then either.  Obviously, he only wants presents if that's the case.  Of course, he also borrowed $25 from his brother while he was here that brother hasn't seen returned.  When I asked about the money, Hurricane told me that "he'd drop it in the mail like I was his license."  I told LM that this is why I wouldn't loan money to Hurricane when he asked to borrow it.  


     I'm just not allowed to have a life.  My friend, Sharon, (my old neighbor) and I spoke last night on my way home.  She and I talked about the fact that every single time I have tried to make plans even with a girlfriend to do something for myself, the kids start drama that night.  One night when she and I were going out to dinner together, it was LM fighting with James over the stuff that James stole from the house.  Of course, I heard from Hurricane over that situation and he was all against his brother.  His brother was wrong for being upset over us getting robbed.  The next night that Sharon and I tried to go out to dinner, it was the night that Hurricane and Donna decided to invite one of their friends to come down to my house and not a one of them bothered to mention this to me.  Then yesterday, I had plans with Nanny.  First LM wants to take off work and come along.  Well, I give him props for this much of the trip.  The way to the fair where it was just Nanny and me- he stayed in the backseat with his head phones on and listened to music and didn't bother us at all.  But then on the way home, here we go with drama with Hurricane yet again.  


    My good blog friend, Sharon, mentioned this morning that Hurricane is just so jealous.  I see that too.  Every time I turn around he's upset about his brothers, their friends, my time.  He acts like I'm on this world to do nothing but jump when he says to jump.  And he can't quite deal with the fact that this doesn't happen and hasn't happened in years.  He seems to be having trouble transitioning to a new relationship with not only me but his brothers that is more of an adult relationship than where they were as younger children.  The boys no longer take everything Hurricane says as the gospel and something that they have to do.  Hurricane has had problems relating to his brothers in their new more mature state.  They changed while he was busy with his own life and he's not quite learned who they've become yet.  Just like he changed.  We all change in life.  Different experiences that we go thru will change how we react to things and how we look at circumstances.  But that doesn't give him the right to be rude and disrespectful all the time like he is.  


   So, for anyone that might think that your kid is treating you like dirt just because you're a step-parent?  We biological parents get to go thru it too.  Constantly.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way Hurricane has been separated from his brothers, I can kind of imagine my SS becoming the same way. He's been out of his sister's life for over a year now, and she's growing up without him around. I'm not looking forward to it if he decides to behave like H.

word verification was "bless" :)

The Step In Mom. . . said...

I know I haven't been around! Just getting caught up. Wow, is all I can say. I vote you change the locks :-). Try to start ignoring their crap (esp. Hurricaine's)...turn the phone off, put the ringer on silent or something. Go to dinner and leave your phone in the car, and enjoy your time with your friends!

I would also tell him since you are so "worthless" you won't be mailing his I.D. and he can get it next time he comes to town.